Date: 15 August 2007
Start: 10:27 AM
31 July 2007:
The best class I have attended so far here in this faraway country is my Summer 2007 English class. Not only is this my very first class, which started on a friend's birthday, but also my most diverse class. Though there are two dominant groups, that is the Spanish-speaking people and the Koreans, the diversity is very amazing. If our class was a person, that person can speak 16 languages, including English. Amazing, isn't it? Also, the only Americans in our class are our teacher and a classmate. I will really miss the diversity of this class.
Anyway, this class reminded me of the day I broke my silence. It's hard for me to be myself here. I am not the outspoken person many people know. I am my silent self, my surface self. I really did not break my silence during class. It was during the break. That was the only time I felt free to speak. Anyway, may we proceed to the story?
Before the break, we were discussing a few readings. I just can't remember the topic of the essays, but as far as I remember, a heated discussion occured. I just can't believe that the people here would talk such things. It's not that it's not a good topic, but it's insignificant. If only I could remember what we talked about. So when the teacher called a break, it was a relief for me. I heard too much.
After talking to a seatmate about them talking about these things, I then asked my teacher. I asked her why is it that people here talk about and worry such things. It is as if people here have a problem in everything. I told her that back home, such problems exist, but people just do not talk about it or consider such things as trivial. I even asked her why people are warfreaks, or whatever the original phrase that I used. She said that many people are against the war. I considered her point. I then asked her why the country likes to meddle with other countries' affairs when they do not need to. I think she agreed at some point, with the exception of WWII. I disagree with that part though. Well, they did help, but it's as if we owe a lot to them. I just can't explain my point here, but I do hope you get the idea. Well, that was the end of the discussion. The class resumed after our discussion on war.
I forgot to mention that I even said to her that it does not matter to me whether people are this or that, as long as they are in good terms with everyone. I remember a classmate backing me up in this part. I just can't remember how I came to that point, but I do remember that I mentioned it in the middle of the discussion. Anyway, that reminds me of a friend.
It is hard that I am not able to express myself freely, in fear of offending someone unintentionally. It's too bad that I have no more chance of expressing myself in this class. The class is now over. Time to move on. I will always remember the people that I have been with in this class. I will always remember the discussions that we had in class. Most importantly, I had a wider view of the world through this class. Hopefully I can still meet a few people from here in my future classes. Not that I am sentimental or what. At least I can have someone to talk to in the future. For now, I have to overcome my shyness.
End: 11:18 AM
* To that friend whom I remembered, I do not know if it was because of you that I brought up that topic in the discussion, or it was through the discussion that I remembered you. Anyway, I hope you are doing well in life. : )
* Sorry for not updating frequently. To the two demanding people, here's an update. : )
Wednesday, August 15, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment