Sunday, February 3, 2008

IELTS

Date: 2 February 2008
Start: 8:09 PM

My very first post for the year 2008. So much has happened yet I decided to talk about something just now. Anyway, I had my IELTS exam. It is similar to the TOEFL exam, except that the former is the British version. I was quite surprised that my exam date was today. I only registered for the test a few weeks ago. I was really fortunate for this, though I was not able to go to a university open house with my cousin.

Preparing for the exam was quite a rush. I only had a day to prepare for it, which was basically the day before the exam. Though it's an advice to rest for an exam on the day before, I really had no choice. Since there was not any review book in the school library, I had to rely on some reliable website to know what the exam is all about. It was a good thing I familiarized myself with the exam format. I pretty much did well, except that I am worried with a few items and my essays. There were only a few people in the exam. Most of them were Indians, though I saw two old Filipinos. It was quite sad I was not able to talk to them.

I am praying for a decent, but deserving score in the exam. I am also hoping that the recipient, my target university, will be able to receive my score, as well as my other requirements.
*************************************************************************************

I had very random thoughts during the day, particularly about my passport. My passport was not expired or anything. I was the only time I examined the Philippine emblem closely.

The design of the Philippine flag is evident, but the animals really fancied me. It reminded me the two big colonial rulers of the country: Spain and United States. The lion on the red side represents Spain, while the eagle on the blue side represents the United States. How dare they represent those rulers in the emblem! It's like we are telling the world that they greatly influenced our culture that they should be represented in the emblem. Maybe they still have control over the country, and that the president is just probably a puppet. I demand they change the seal. I demand that the seal shows only about the Philippines and not any conqueror whoever. However, the government should change the laws and initiate welfare programs first to improve the quality of life in the Philippines.
*************************************************************************************

May this exam be the last exam that I have to take for college admission. How I hate ESL (English as a Second Language) exams! I have had English classes in my college, as well as in elementary and high school. Don't they trust my abilities? :P

End: 8:39 PM

No comments: