This piece was originally in Spanish. In the version that I got, the translation was on one side, and the original was on the other side. I tried to look at the Spanish version, and the Spanish is very different from the 'modern' Spanish. Well, that is the medieval age. It's just like the old English and the modern English. Enough of that, let's proceed to the story.It was divided in three sections. The main idea of each section, I can't figure out. Anyway, the first part of the story tells about the banishment of the Cid. As to why he was banished, I do not know. Basically the first part tells about his conquests, earning a good reputation among the Christians and the Moors.
The second part still discusses some of his conquests, but then there comes a point when he finally settles down a certain place. I think by this part, he once again gained favor of the King, through the gifts he has been sending. It's really good to notice that whenever the Cid sends a messenger to the King, it is always acknowledged that the Cid is still the King's vassal, despite the great honor he has achieved. I think this is also the part where the Cid's daughters were married to a famous noble family. The marriage was basically set-up by the King, which the Cid just agreed to.
The last part concerns more about the Cid and the noble family his daughters were married to. You can see here the medieval tradition of settling arguments through competitions, were each side will have a champion fighting for them. It was quite unexpected that the marriage of the Cid's daughters was 'annulled' because of the way their husbands treated them, leaving them in the forest, hurt. I was thinking that this was quite impossible because during that time, I would say religion is somewhat 'strict'. Anyway, for a happy ending, two princes from different kingdoms asked for the hand of the Cid's daughters, and justice was done on the ex-husbands.
Another funny thing is that the Cid's beard is somewhat given emphasis in some parts. the significance of not having his beard cut, I do not know why. Also, women do seem to have a role this time. The Cid highly respects his wife and daughters, which at least does not make women some object owned by men. However, it's also good to notice that they are still somewhat dependent on the Cid for security and other matters. Call it pampered, but it still somewhat shows women's weakness.
It was basically a good piece. Then again, do not expect romance in this piece. Some parts cover about the war, but I would say it covers a gentleman's ideal way of life. I could be wrong here, but that is how I see it. It definitely has a lot of adventure, though I would say not much details were given. I mean it's not as colorful as the Arthurian ones. So that's about it. Another piece of medieval literature. By the way, don't get confused with the names. The Cid, I believe, has three names in the story. Just pay attention while reading. It is still not light reading.
No comments:
Post a Comment