Thursday, March 1, 2007

>@< cOmMuNiTy SeRvIcE >@<

We just had our periodic exam on Physics and English. I would say I screwed up on the exams today. I reviewed for the exam as if I just breezed through my notes. Well, that was in the case of my Physics exam. For the English exam on 'Of Mice and Men' by John Steinbeck, I was not able to finish one part in the essay, I somehow got lost in the vocabulary part, and I forgot some details, which were ask for in the multiple choice part. Why is it that I seem to screw up when things are about to end? I guess that is just the law of diminishing marginal utility.

This day, our class is scheduled to get our stipends, have a play practice, and most importantly, the seniors can now return their textbooks to the property office. Anyway, I was supposed to return my books tomorrow, since I still have one book left at home and I need to fix one book. The property office has somehow been strict in the returning of books. The books should be fized and the cover should be wrapped in plastic cover. The book will not be accepted if you do not follow these things. Anyway, to fast forward things, I already returned the books that I have in my locker. Luckily, my locker is situated near the property office and there was not a line. Now that I have returned my books and come back again tomorrow to return the remaining ones, is this the end of the story? Well, not quite.

You see, after returning the books, a classmate of mine somehow volunteered to do the work of the person in-charge. I think she was just curious or whatever. Anyway, eventually, I came to help them by putting the books to their respective shelves. So the bottom line of the story? My friend and I became volunteers. Actually, it was quite fun. While she was doing the checking of books, I was doing the storing of it. We seemed like an assembly line. The officer in-charge only signs the forms and whatever stuff he needs to sign. Anyway, we also had a little chat with him. With the experience we had, it was nice to go back again and volunteer. The only sad thing was that only a few people returned their books. I think they will be returning their books on the next day. Anyway, whatever happens, I would want to volunteer again.

The strange thing here is that we seem to be doing community service, which is usually the punishment of people with offenses. Well, no matter how it seems. What is important is that we had fun. I think that the true meaning of community service is volunteerism. The truth is, sometimes there has to be an urge to do these things, but whatever happens, people will eventually get to enjoy the work. I guess this is what our country needs. We need people who are ready to serve the community in anyway. Speaking of public service, as a concerned citizen, I would like to tell my fellow countrymen to vote wisely these coming elections. Even if I have not reach the voting age, I would like you to vote the candidates whose sole intention is to serve the country for its greater good. Please also vote those candidates who can inspire the youth to love and serve their motherland. May we have a peaceful and fair elections. God bless the Philippines! :)

No comments: